Monday, January 11, 2010

A new take on Steak and Potatoes

One of my new years resolutions is to have more dinner parties. I like making dinner, but I like to make an event out of it rather than just eat it myself. And I love making food look pretty and sitting at a table and having conversation with people I like. So this year I am inviting people I like to eat with me twice a month. So far, so good.

We started out with some warm pita bread and dip. The dip is essentially plain Greek yogurt with grated cucumber, grated garlic (I don't mess with a press) fresh lemon juice and mint (or dill if you want). Make sure you buy the Greek pita bread -- not pocket pita.

Who doesn't like a good steak (not counting vegetarians)? This is a flank steak and the marinade is the BEST marinade I've ever tried. I actually got the recipe from my friend Scott.

Flank Steak marinade:

1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup soy sauce (preferably tamari)
1/3 cup lime juice and zest (about 2 limes)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
steak seasoning

(marinade over night, if you can, turn the steak halfway through marinade time).

I don't have a grill, so I broiled this. Each side, about 6 minutes. The trick is not overcooking it. You want it to be pretty pink in the middle.

Most people I know love mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't, but I'm pretty sure it's the gravy I don't like. I don't have a problem with potatoes, but they need a good flavor. My flavor of choice happens to be horseradish, and horseradish goes great with beef, so this worked.

I'm not going to bother with a recipe for the potatoes because I honestly don't know how much of everything I put in here. Basically I boiled the potatoes, added some butter, half and half and a teaspoon of horseradish. Salt and pepper (garlic salt if you want).

My friend Annie made this salad. The key to good salad (if you ask me) is quality ingredients and a good dressing. I prefer to make my dressing from scratch. You save a lot of money that way and it's so much better for you.

Salad:

Green leaf lettuce
avocado
orange slices
cranberries
blue cheese

Dressing:

olive oil
orange juice
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment