Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pasta with Goat Cheese and Roasted Asparagus

I've had a block of goat cheese sitting in my fridge ever since I made beet and goat cheese risotto (sorry, didn't take pictures of that recipe, which I kind of made up as I went along). I haven't really known what to do with the cheese until I got my semi weekly email from Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" with a dozen spring pasta recipes.
I tried it. I liked it.

  • 2 bunches asparagus (2 pounds total), tough ends removed
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
  • 12 ounces cavatappi or other short pasta
  • 1 small log soft goat cheese (5 ounces), crumbled
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Place asparagus on a large rimmed baking sheet; dot with 1 tablespoon butter, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, tossing occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes; cut into 2-inch lengths.
  2. While asparagus is roasting, generously salt boiling water. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Set aside 1 1/2 cups pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 cup pasta water. Season with salt and pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add goat-cheese mixture and asparagus to pasta; toss to combine, adding more pasta water if necessary for sauce to coat pasta. Serve pasta garnished with chives.
I didn't have chives so I used green onion. Chives would be better, but whatever.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't think that I have ever had leftover goat cheese in my fridge. I don't think I have ever even purchased goat cheese. You are brave. And gourmet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOOOOOOOOOVE goat cheese. My favorite goat cheese dish, is goat cheese, honey and granny apple grilled on wheat. It is good.

    ReplyDelete