Thursday, April 22, 2010

Honey Lime Chicken

I am a bad blogger today since this post will not contain a picture of my own, but trust me, I was too busy gobbling these recipes down to think of taking a picture!
Monday night, I had a whole pack of chicken breasts in my fridge that were nearing expiration. I decided to throw them all in the crockpot on low with a much of mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic, onion powder, cilantro, oregano, etc.) until I could decide what to do with the chicken. Then, I found this yummy recipe on the Sister's Cafe site for Honey Lime enchiladas. We made it for dinner following the recipe posted and they were delicious! The best part was that I had a lot of leftover chicken that I had already put honey and lime juice in. So, a few days later, they became Honey Lime Shredded Chicken Tacos. Yum! So, whatever your family craves, give this tasty shredded chicken a try in your favorite Mexican recipe.

Honey Lime Chicken

You can follow the direction from the Sister's Cafe if you are a measuring type of cook, but I rarely measure, so I just adjusted the amounts of the following ingredients:

Honey
Lime Juice
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
salt and pepper

Mix in with your hot shredded chicken straight from the crockpot. Adjust the amounts to your personal tastes (we used more lime and less honey). Yum!

Black Bean Salsa

1 can black beans, rinsed
3-4 chopped Roma tomatoes
1/2 can corn, drained
1/2 yellow onion minced
1/2 a bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 TBS minced garlic

Toss to combine. Add a few sprinkles of salt, a few squirts of lime juice, and a teaspoon of both chili powder and cumin to the mix. Let it chill until ready to use.

Then, take a nice crispy corn tortilla, add the salsa with the chicken, garnish with cilantro, cheese, and sour cream, and enjoy!

1 comment: