Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baked Ravioli


I love a good "domestic" feel to a meal. Though this is mostly pre-made, it seems like you did it from scratch and it's wonderful comfort food. And what'dya know, the bread even came in handy again for a good side of garlic bread.


Baked Ravioli
(recipe derived from Martha Stewart)

1 package pre-made ravioli (any flavor)
1 can whole stewed tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp oregano or thyme (I used the "Italian Seasonings" I had in my spice cupboard)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion
1 T olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 grated parmesean

Saute the garlic and onion with the olive oil until soft. Add both cans of tomatoes. Stir in seasonings and break up the whole tomatoes, then let the sauce cook till it thickens and absorbs the flavor (20-25 min).

Preheat oven to 425.

Boil the ravioli, until just softened, they will cook more in the oven. Drain, return to pot. Once the sauce has thickened, add it to the pasta and gently toss.

Pour pasta into baking dish and spread cheese over the top. Bake for 20-25 min or until golden brown and bubbly.

(Side note: I'm not TOO big of an onion fan. So I used 1/2 of an onion I had left, and threw some dried minced onion in, and added a dash of garlic salt. It really is all about preference here, people.)

2 comments: